Thursday, August 7, 2014

5 EASY ways to be happy!

I'm always inspired to write things related to happiness, as it is the thing that I've been struggling to achieve for the past few years. As I suffered from a breakdown back then, I wasn't happy at all. I hated myself so much and my self-esteem was extremely unhealthy.

And I knew that, I HAD to do something about it.

Whenever I turned to my friends asking them what do they do if they are not happy, I often get answers like spending time with family & friends or joining activities. But I realised these only lead to short-term happiness. In order to be and remain happy, it is the MINDSET that tells yourself you CHOOSE to be happy, and no one else can control nor decide your happiness, but you.

Recently I have been getting the hang of happiness, so these are the 5 ways that personally works for me!

1. Count Your Blessings 
THIS is probably one of my proudest (positive) habits! I count my blessings regularly. I would just smile to myself out of no where expressing how blessed I am, even at the simplest thing. Be it a text from a friend, parking spot, coffee done right, good weather and many many more! Before I fall asleep, I reflect on the day and identify things that I'm grateful for. And I get really excited getting up the next day to explore what else I could be grateful for!

There are always something to be thankful and grateful for. Always look at the good things in life. When you appreciate what you have, what you have appreciates in value.


2. Laugh Out Loud 
Just be yourself and literally laugh out LOUD (Don't fake it lah!). As most of you already know, laughing triggers the happy hormones - Endorphins. When you laugh, you tend to worry less and just enjoy for the moment.

There is this thing about me - I laugh at the slightest silliest things. I often make my own jokes and laugh at it (with myself!) where others could just give me that stare. Haha yes you geddit.


3. Spend Time with Yourself 
Okay, this is a tricky one. When I say spend time with yourself, it doesn't mean being alone and feeling lonely. Loneliness is not something to aim for, but being alone doesn't mean feeling lonely.

Spending time with yourself means having your OWN time trying to understand who you are and what you desire in life. It is the time you have with yourself with no distractions. Slow down and keep your mind clear! This allows you to set your priorities straight making sure that what you're aiming for is something you want, not something you want because others want it.

Remember, you don't need anyone in your life, but yourself. Do things you like and be happy of the things you do.


4. Make a To-do List
...and making sure you tick all the listed items off at the end of each day. Seeing things getting ticked off from the list is probably one of the best feelings ever (at least for me!).

This gives me a major sense of satisfaction and it makes me really happy. Create a list at the start of each day and commit to it! It does make a difference.

5. Have Lesser Expectations 
I'm still trying hard to achieve this. Having a certain level of expectations is healthy as that is what you set out on your goals, but only to a certain extent.

I'm the kind of person that gets pretty insensitive with the abilities of the person I'm dealing with. There were many times I expect people to do something for me, because I wouldn't mind to do as much for them. But when they didn't, I felt terribly disappointed, which is by far the worst feeling I've experienced.

Expectation is the root of disappointment.

I constantly remind myself that no one owes it to you to do a certain thing. You can't control others, but YOU can control yourself.




Ask yourself the question, are you happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment